Facebook has started working with a few developers to test the ability of using Facebook Credits on other websites. Palo Alto says the goal of Facebook Credits for websites is to let developers offer a more unified app experience beyond Facebook apps.Facebook is not yet sure if it will expand the test more broadly. If demand for the virtual currency is high and the user experience is deemed solid, the company could one day allow all websites to process payments for virtual goods using Facebook Credits.There is just one early example of the new system: GameHouse’s Collapse! Blast.
If you are a developer interested in Facebook Credits for websites, you can sign up at the Facebook Credits Developer Support Form by choosing the fifth category from the list.“At this time, we are focused on gathering early developer feedback,” a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement. “We will keep you posted as our tests continue.”In related news, Facebook has added new payment methods for Facebook Credits. Some of the recent additions include: Axeso5 Brazil, Join Card Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia OBT Malaysia, MEPS FPX Malaysia, MEPSCASH Malaysia, PayEasy Philippines, PaysBuy Thailand, SafetyPay Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Spain, Austria, Brazil, and WebCash Malaysia.
The social networking giant now supports over 80 payment methods in more than 50 countries around the world.Facebook Credits launched as an alpha in May 2009. The beta stage started in February 2010 and ended with a final version in January 2011. As of July 2011, all Facebook game developers are required to only process payments through Facebook Credits. It is not yet? a mandatory payment option for Facebook apps. Earlier this month, Facebook Credits became available as a payment option to mobile app developers.
Facebook takes a 30 percent cut of all revenue earned through Facebook Credits, leaving developers with the remaining 70 percent. It’s not clear how much revenue the company makes from the virtual currency, but it appears to be a growing percentage of its overall revenue. It could be massive if Facebook Credits for websites takes off.